The ancient Indian life science of Ayurveda offers a blueprint for keeping body and mind healthy. Ayurveda experts Pukka Herbs offer advice to help you sail through the coming winter.
- Food and Drink: eat fresh, seasonal food, especially warm, nourishing soups. Antidote over-eating with digestive spices, for example ginger and fennel seed. Only drink when thirsty and opt for spicy and cleansing organic teas.
- Cold prevention: strengthen your immune system, and prevent coughs and colds right throughout the winter, by taking organic Ashwagandha & Shatavari Formula and enjoying a teaspoon-a-day of the delicious, Vitamin C-rich herbal jam, Chywanaprash.
- Clearing colds - nasya nasal oil is a wonderful tonic for stuffy sinuses. Inhaled through the nostrils it can relive blocked sinuses and protect mucus membranes. Meanwhile, heating the body can burn away the toxic mucus overload. Thirty drops of Organic Trikatu tincture - a mix of three warming spices - added to warm water and honey, can help.
- Treating fever - organic Andrographis has long been used in Ayurveda to stop fevers. It is excellent for treating viral infections and should be taken as soon as the first symptoms appear.
- Keep warm and hydrated: prevention is better than cure, as the saying goes. Start the day with a cup of warm water, with added immune-busting ginger and a slice of lemon. Herbal teas can also help keep you hydrated and ward off colds and flu.
- Chose your exercise regime carefully. Swimming is fantastic way to keep fit without stress to the joints, but emerging into the cold afterwards can be bracing for the body. Turn the dark evenings to your advantage by lighting a candle and some incense and sinking into your yoga practice.